Tuesday, March 8, 2016

{bookcase: not one damsel in distress}


Today is International Women's Day! And what better day than this to celebrate just one of the many fierce-female books I have in my collection?

When I found out I was having a daughter, I knew I was in for a tough road. (For the record, you can replace "daughter" with "son" easily. What follows would be different though.) I knew she might grow up in the world I grew up in, where women weren't paid equally for equal work, weren't respected the same, were told to dress the right way or else risk her safety, were given pink dolls and told they'd make wonderful mothers one day, were told boys will be boys, were called terrible names and had to accept it--need I go on? These are realities we face as mothers of young women.

I don't want her to grin and bear it.


So here's one book I hope will instill some fierce bravery in her. Will tell her that she can conquer so many things as she grows older, that she can be the change she wishes to see in the world, that she doesn't have to accept limitations.

Push boundaries, little one. Fight dragons. Fill your bookshelves with girls and women who do the same.


Replace "daughter" with "son." Because I'm going to read these stories to him too, of course.

PS: Got a book recommendation? We're always looking to fill our bookcase up with more good books!

No comments:

Post a Comment